Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Endure

For the girl who prefers post-it notes over Evernote...I decided I would try and organize a few thoughts here.

This past weekend I ran my first 5k. Since then I have been thinking of the many parallels between physical and spiritual running. I realize for many this will not be a new idea, but for me, the non/anti-runner, this was the first time I could actually see the similarities. For the past year and a half I have felt overwhelmed more times than not at trying to keep up with the pace of life. And...clearly, life was winning!

This weekend I was reminded that I prefer sprinting over cross-country and my competitive spirit desires to finish first rather than simply finishing well. Although I prepared for my 5k with one run the week before, as I crossed the finish line there was a little disappointment that I wasn't first. Ridiculous, I know! So, most of the time if I know there is a high possibility that I will not win, I would rather not participate. I think this is so true for my walk with Jesus, as well. It is easy for me to sit paralyzed by fear, pride and trying to people please, instead of walking forward in confidence of what I know to be true. I want to sprint instead of enjoying the fruits of endurance. And too often the weight of defeat leads to apathy or me trying to white-knuckle my way through each day, instead of resting in His promise to be faithful. I know that sanctification (becoming more like Jesus) is not a sprint...it is a long process that requires an action from me, so, whether that is patiently waiting, studying His word, praying, serving and seeking Him in the dishes & laundry...He is making me more like Him in the midst of it all. Thankfully His grace allows an imperfect sinner to play a part in the story He his writing and it has nothing to do with me. Praying that alone will continue to motivate me (us) to press in and trust that He truly is working all of this for His glory and my (our) joy!

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it." 2 Corinthians 9:24

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:14

Praying that despite our circumstances today, He will be glorified through us!
Kim




No comments: