Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Allergy, Cold, Flu...AHH CHOO!

As we are embarking on another flu season, I thought I would share some info to help differentiate between an allergy, cold and the flu.

Agonizing Allergies
Headaches
Mild fatigue
Stuffy nose and/or sneezing (almost always)
Mild or scratchy sore throat
Mild cough

Treatment: Antihistamines and decongestants (allergy shots, if severe)

Icky Cold
Mild fatigue
Stuffy nose and/or sneezing
Mild to moderate cough and chest discomfort

Treatment: Relief of symptoms (Drink hot liquids, use a cool mist humidifier, steamy showers)

Fierceful Flu (sudden onset of symptoms)
Headache
Body aches
Fatigue (can last 2-3 weeks)
Dry cough
High fever (102-104)
Chest discomfort (can be severe)

Treatment: Amantadine or Rimantadine (anti-viral medications) can be taken within 24 to 48 hours after onset of symptoms. These help reduce the duration and severity of symptoms.

Prevention: The #1 way to prevent illness is to wash your hands. (soap and water for 20 seconds...ABC song) Also, stifle your cough with your elbow in lieu of spraying your hands. Your wet and slimy mucus can travel over 100 miles an hour!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nurse Corso! The problem is there are too many overlapping symptoms here :) See you tonight!!

Regina said...

Such a nurse! Love it!

Those Tonnes said...

You are so preciously cute, love it. Loved seeing you last night. Can't believe you had a baby, doesn't look like it. Well I am glad Landen is better.

Chilton Family said...

Hey girl! So sorry I haven't called you back. I gotta check my saved messages and pull your number off of it. I will do so soon! Email me too sometime!! The puppies are still available...they aren't full bred boxer, but they are sooo cute and will be awesome kid dogs. Okay...talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend I just wanted to check in and see how you are all doing. Talk to you soon.

Love
Caroline